- On the lookout
In conjunction with National School Bus Safety Week (Oct. 20-24) (DPS) area Texas Department of Public Safety troopers have been riding on school buses to catch motorists who disregard the law. Pictured Tuesday morning at the GISD bus barn are Troopers Steven Nall, Dub Gilliam and Jeremy Sherrod. Mary Vinson/Hood County News
- ‘Pippin’ musical opens for five-day run October 22, 2014
Granbury High School’s five-day run of the musical production “Pippin” opens Thursday, Oct. 23 in the GHS Bagby-McMahan Performing Arts Center. Curtains raise at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. Other performances are Saturday, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, 2 p.m.; Monday, 7:30 p.m.; and Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults and $6 for students. “Pippin” is about a prince who discovers that true happiness lies in un-extraordinary everyday moments.
- Early voting continues to bring out voters October 22, 2014
According to county Elections Administrator Jenise “Crickett” Miller, 659 Hood County residents turned out for early voting Tuesday at Annex 1, 1410 W. Pearl St. “I would say (the turnout) is good,” Miller said Wednesday afternoon, even though the count so far was less than the day before. Early voting for the Nov. 4 General Election will go on until Friday, Oct. 31.
- Howling good time planned in Pecan October 22, 2014
A howling good time is in store for all ghosts and goblins at the children’s Halloween party Saturday, Oct. 25 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Pecan Activities Center. A haunted house, costume contest, Sassy the Clown, games (including a cupcake walk) and trunk or treat are all on the agenda for Pecan Plantation.
- About 7 million grandparents live with a grandchild October 22, 2014
Of the 65 million grandparents in the United States in 2012, 7 million, or 10 percent, lived with at least one grandchild, according to a new report released today by the U.S. Census Bureau. The percentage of children who lived with a grandparent in 2012 was also 10 percent, rising from 7 percent in 1992.
- Odessa man facing felony drug charge October 22, 2014
David Delloyd Mercer, 51, of Odessa, was arrested on Oct. 12 and charged with possession of a controlled substance, Penalty Group 1, less than 1 gram, according to Hood County Jail booking records.
- Mineral Wells man charged with felony theft October 21, 2014
Christopher Michael Greenleaf, 33, of Mineral Wells, was arrested on Oct. 13 and charged with felony theft less than $1,500, 2 or more previous convictions, according to Hood County Jail booking records.
- Campus controlled entrances near completion October 21, 2014
Subcontractors are working on a “punch list” for completion of the Granbury school district elementary and middle school controlled entry vestibules. Redesign of reception counters may take longer. Construction of the parking area near the Tidwell Field baseball complex is under way.
- Hundreds turn out on first day of early voting October 21, 2014
The total turnout for the first day of early voting for the Nov. 4 General Election was 673, according to county Elections Administrator Jenise “Crickett” Miller. Early voting started Monday (Oct. 20) and will end on Friday, Oct. 31. Call the county elections office at 817-408-2525 with any questions.
- 9th Gold Team’s football time Thursday has changed
- Win clinches second place for Lady Pirates
- Free basketball clinic for girls this Saturday
- Lady Pirates at home tonight in key district volleyball clash
- GHS swim teams post strong times in Arlington