Stranded golfers make most of hand they’re dealt

June 25, 2014

Sunday’s heavy rains and flooding took their toll on the local golf community.

Some tried to get in a round, only to be turned away by the downpour.

For some, however, that did not mean going home – not right away.

Granbury Country Club reported receiving 6.5 inches of rain.

Four folks at the course gave up and tried to go home. However, they were stopped in their attempt by the flooding of the nearby low-water crossing.

They were stranded at the course for about four hours.

“We played cards, drove around the course to see if there was any damage, whatever we could do to give the water time to go down,” said Robert Ventimiglia, one of the foursome, who is also an employee of GCC.

Three people managed to forge through the rain as long as they could – and actually got in some golf.

“They played nine holes in all that rain,” said Ventimiglia. “They were soaked, but they were determined.”

Also, the First Tee youth golf camp canceled its first day Monday.

With a 40 percent chance of rain yesterday, it was not certain when the course would be playable again. When it is, carts will be restricted to the paths until further notice.

Down the road at Hidden Oaks, course officials reported about 7.5 inches of rain. No one found themselves trapped, but the few who tried to play were unable to finish.

Likewise, officials said when the course does reopen, carts are restricted to paths.

At deCordova, almost 7 inches was reported, and at the start of the week the course was closed until further notice.

Golf courses weren’t the only sporting venues affected by the rain, according to City of Granbury Recreation Coordinator Josh McGinnis.

“We had a big (softball) tournament all night Saturday. Rain soaked our trash, and that’s not going to be fun cleaning up,” he said.

“Over by the disc golf course, water was up 2 or 3 feet. It’s pretty crazy, actually, but we needed it.”

Rain halted Sunday’s kickball action at the city fields.

“We could play water polo, and that’s about it,” he said with a chuckle.

McGinnis said play would resume as soon as possible for city events, likely yesterday or today.

[email protected] | 817-573-7066, ext. 256

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Category: Page One News