Bacon and chocolate chips in a cookie? I’ll take two dozen! The sweet and salty combination of Colleen Sowa’s Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies will satisfy any cookie-lovers craving. Really, how can you go wrong with chocolate AND bacon?!
See step-by-step photos of Colleen’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks nationwide at: www.justapinch.com/baconcookie
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win! Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch,”
“A perfect meld of flavors!”
– Colleen Sowa, LaCrosse, Wis. (Pop. 51,320)
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 pkg bacon (thick slices)
1/2 c brown sugar, lightly packed
2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp each: baking powder and baking soda
4 tbsp bacon drippings (cooled)
4 tbsp margarine, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 c pecans (chopped coarsely)
3 c dark bittersweet chocolate chips
• Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
• In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
• Put 1/2 c brown sugar in a medium size bowl. One strip at a time, put bacon in the bowl and coat with brown sugar. Place the bacon flat on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until all are done. Any left over sugar, sprinkle over bacon. Bake for about 12 min. Turn each piece of bacon over and baste with bacon grease. Return to oven and bake an additional 12 min. (or until bacon is crisp).
• Remove from oven and cool. Break bacon into small pieces (size of the chopped nuts). Set aside.
• In a large bowl cream bacon grease, margarine, butter and sugars. Add eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture. Fold in the bacon, nuts and chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 3 hours.
• Drop 1 tbsp of dough at a time onto parchment paper.
• Bake for 10 to 15 min. until golden brown.
• Allow to cool completely.