Woman, 87, dies almost two weeks after crash

April 9, 2014


Marcille Manley Booth was known as a quiet woman, but her actions in serving others spoke loud and clear.

Her niece’s husband and her pastor both described Booth as someone who consistently looked for opportunities to be a helpful citizen – and had a special interest in children.

Booth, 87, died on April 1 from complications of injuries she suffered in a March 19 accident in the 1900 block of Acton Highway in Granbury near The Pet Hospital.

She had been flown from the scene by air ambulance to Fort Worth’s John Peter Smith Hospital, where she was listed in serious condition in ICU. She remained in ICU until she was pronounced dead at 3:18 p.m.

Booth had lived in the Acton area since moving from Fort Worth with her husband in 1987. He preceded her in death, along with one of their daughters, Sandy Dyer. She is survived by a son, John Booth of Granbury, and daughter Janice Summerhill, of Hillsboro.

Booth had attended Brazos Covenant Ministries in Acton since the late 1980s, pastor Merrie Cardin recalled Thursday.

She described her as having an “overcoming” and “compassionate” personality.

“Nothing kept this lady down,” Cardin said. “She was part of our prayer force. She was a powerful player warrior. She loved children. She had such a heart to see that children reached their destiny, to be the best they could be and to help them believe that they could be all God wanted them to be.

“She came alongside people in hard times and loved them and helped them. Marcille used to do Al-Anon groups. She was a lay person that would lead support groups.

“She was one of those people you just never forget. She will be greatly missed, but I know where she is. I’m glad she’s in heaven, but we’re all going to miss her.”

Cardin said Booth was an “awesome” mother and housewife, who worked in the church nursery.

Rick Knight, whose wife Pat Knight is Booth’s niece, said Booth formerly worked at a couple of churches in Fort Worth as a secretary and was “a very faithful woman” in her church.

“Her life was characterized, especially in her retirement years, as being a caretaker of others,” said Knight, who lives near Tyler. “She babysat for a lot of different people over the years. She continued to stay busy.”

Knight said Booth not only was quiet and unassuming.

“She always had a big smile,” he said.

Knight said doctors performed three “significant” surgeries on Booth, who suffered neck, hip and leg injuries in the crash.

Knight said Booth knew first-hand what hard times were all about. That included not only being a widow, but also losing one of her daughters.

“She was a tough lady,” Knight said. “She was raised in a family of four. They were raised during the Depression. She knew what it was like to live in a very different manner.”


The crash was a head-on collision with a pickup, which went around a school bus that was trying to make a left-hand turn. Police reported at the time that the other driver “took faulty evasive action and locked the brakes and went to the left into oncoming traffic.”

Deputy Chief Alan Hines of the Granbury Police Department said that as a result of Booth’s death, the investigation results will be presented to the grand jury.

Booth’s services were held Friday, and she was buried in Acton Cemetery.

[email protected] | 817-573-7066, ext. 254

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Category: Page One News Archived