Two officers shot, suspect killed

June 29, 2013


A Granbury police officer was shot and the suspect killed following an exchange of gunfire in downtown Granbury late Friday morning, authorities said.

Minutes earlier, a Hood County sheriff’s deputy was reported shot in the head in Oak Trail Shores.

The suspect fled the scene in a white van, and law officers gave chase.

Officers blocked the van near Granbury City Hall.

“He (the suspect) got out with an assault rifle and started shooting at officers,” Police Chief Mitch Galvan said.

Officers returned fire and killed the suspect. His name was not immediately released.

The police officer, who was not identified, was being treated for injuries that were not life-threatening, officers said.

The loud and rapid gunfire exchange, not unlike a “Bonnie and Clyde” scene, witness Lynn Park said, disrupted a peaceful business and tourist morning in the heart of the city.

“Bullets were going from all directions,” said Park who was in her vehicle when the gunfire erupted. “I never seen nothing like it.”

The suspect appeared to be shooting toward her car, she said. She was told to duck, to avoid getting hit by bullets.

Another witness, Kent Whites, said he thought all the gunfire was coming from an re-enactment.

“We heard all these shots,” Whites said. “We stopped counting at 20,” he said.

The bullet-riddled van was just off Houston Street in the east parking lot of City Hall. The man’s body, on the ground just outside the driver’s door, was covered with a sheet.

The suspect appeared to have assault weapons and assault paraphernalia strapped to his body, City Manager Wayne McKethan said.

The sheriff’s deputy had responded to a criminal trespass call in the 2600 block of Edgecliff Ct. in Oak Trail Shores.

The deputy discovered that a sexual assault of a child suspect was at that location confronting the victim to have the charge dropped, Lt. Johnny Rose said. The deputy, who was not identified, was interviewing the suspect and was shot in the back of the head.

The deputy was at JPS Hospital in Fort Worth. His condition was unknown.

Staff writers Debbie Schneider and Mark Wilson contributed to this story.

Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Category: Page One News Archived