Two children among three hurt in blaze

March 8, 2014

PiPic-1-03082014.psd

Three people, including two children, were flown to the Parkland Hospital Burn Center in Dallas after a fire destroyed a mobile home about 1 a.m. Thursday.

The fire occurred on Purple K Court in Blue Water Shores southeast of Granbury.

The residence, which was destroyed, was home to 37-year-old Regina Slone and her two children. Her 7-year-old son, Acton Elementary School first-grade student Joseph Slone, suffered second- and third-degree burns on his hands and arms and may remain hospitalized one more day for observation as a precaution to prevent his burns from becoming infected, a source said. He is listed in good condition by Parkland.

The woman’s 42-year-old boyfriend, Jay Upham, was there visiting and was listed in critical condition with burn injuries.

Regina Slone’s other child, 15-year-old daughter Alyssia Slone, was treated and released the same day from Parkland. She is a student at Crossland Ninth Grade Center.

The mother did not require medical treatment.

The three who were taken to Parkland were flown in separate helicopters.

Eric Majors, a 24-year-old neighbor two houses down from the Slones, said he and his wife were alerted to the fire after he heard another neighbor yelling outside his house.

“I looked over and her house was in flames,” Majors said. “I saw her son running toward me and he was pretty cut up.”

Majors said he feared the worst when he didn’t spot the others right away.

“I was freaking out. I saw the boy running, and I thought the rest of them were trapped in there,” Majors said. “The whole house was up in flames.”

Majors said the back wall of the mobile home “exploded.” That’s when a smaller mobile home, located alongside the Slone residence, caught fire. A relative said that the woman who lived there was at work at the time the fire began. That residence sustained relatively minor damage.

Fire Marshal Ray Wilson said the source of the fire hasn’t been officially determined.

Majors said the back of Slone’s car appeared to start melting, but her landlord used his vehicle to pull it out of danger.

Share...
Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Category: Page One News Archived