Family escapes house fire

January 22, 2014

299-01222014.psd

A fire early Saturday morning destroyed a single-wide mobile home, displacing a family of three in the 8000 block of Glen Rose Highway in the Nubbin Ridge area of southern Hood County.

The family got out of the home just in time with no injuries, but had to use the rear exit.

The blaze began outside.

“I looked out the window and it was already at our front door,” said Kay Purselley, who lived there with husband Kendall and their son, 17-year-old Granbury High School student Cash Purselley. “We had to go out the back.”

Initially, a minor fire started inside at about 10 p.m. Friday at the residence about 4 miles south of Granbury, because of a burning ember from a woodburning stove. Family members placed the bag outside and drenched it with water multiple times, and thought they had cooled it off enough. But after the bag was placed in a garbage can it rekindled, caught their half-ton wrecker truck on fire and then moved toward the house.

Kay Purselley said her husband and son were sleeping, but she was up at about 1 a.m. Saturday and noticed the approaching flames just in time to alert the others.

In addition to the wrecker, their RV was destroyed along with a second RV that was being refurbished.

A 1996 Chevrolet pickup and a 1995 Dodge van were also destroyed along with a Model A Ford car and two pickups in their shop.

The pickups were being worked on and not currently in use, but Kendall Purselley had spent 20 years restoring the Model A, she said.

“I’m just totally devastated,” said Kay Purselley, a grocery store cashier. “I’m so devastated. We lost some pets, and my son lost his lizard. Luckily, we got all our dogs out. We lost about 15 birds.”

She said that all four of their dogs got out and survived, despite thick smoke.

“The smoke was so heavy, I was surprised they lived through it,” she said.

Kendall Purselley said they had lived in that home since 1989.

“Everything got destroyed,” his wife said, noting that included their clothing, furniture and computer.

She said the home was not insured.

They were contacted by Red Cross and received some financial assistance, she noted, but have elected to stay with friends for now.

[email protected] | 817-573-7066, ext. 254

Share...
Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Category: Page One News Archived