City orders billboard removal

December 5, 2012

A special meeting of the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) has been called for Tuesday, Dec. 18, to address a dilapidated billboard that was supposed to have been dealt with last month.

The billboard for Harbor Lakes has been lying in the right-of-way south of N. Plaza Drive, east of the Best Western Inn & Suites, since work was being done on the Plaza Drive extension.

Businessman Ken Hackett was given permission by the city in October 2010 to put the billboard back up, but he did not, said City Manager Wayne McKethan.

In August, the city sent Hackett a letter stating that he needed to either put the billboard back up or remove it. After nothing was done, the ZBA in September issued a removal order, McKethan said.

Hackett missed the Nov. 24 deadline imposed by the ZBA, and that is why the special meeting has been called.

McKethan said that Hackett told city officials that he got confused regarding the city’s mandates about the sign.

Share...
Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Category: Page One News Archived