Blaze displaces 2 families

November 21, 2012

PiPic-1-11212012.psd

Two Hood County families are dealing with the aftermath of a major fire heading into Thanksgiving, but there was a hint that there were still things in their “thankful for” category.

The fire, in the 2000 block of Walker Street, off Holmes Drive just west of the Granbury city limits, displaced four residents of the mostly brick duplex.

Also in the holiday spirit, a number of neighbors quickly offered help to the families.

The fire, called in to 911 just before noon Sunday, left some items that could be saved on both sides of the duplex, according to Hood County Fire Marshal Brian Fine.

“The roof was destroyed and a large part of the contents are able to be salvaged,” Fine said.

Jon Miller, who lived on one side of the duplex with his 7-year-old son, said, “Accidents happen. It’s just stuff, and God will provide.”

Miller, who said he works for a water company, has lived in Hood County 15 years.

“It’s a pretty helpless feeling,” said Teagan Thiel, who lived with her husband in the other side of the duplex for about a year and a half and in the county about six years.

“It is pretty shocking. It will take awhile to sink in. At the same time, we’re lucky we got out in plenty of time.

“Everything is replaceable. It could have been a lot worse.”

Fine said, “It is unfortunate that this occurred as the holidays approach. Each year we usually have at least one structure fire in this time frame. Fortunately between the Red Cross and family and friends, the impact can be lessened.

“The important part is that there were no serious injuries. That is something to be thankful for.”

A plumber who was working at the site had minor burns to his hands, Fine noted, and he was treated and released at the scene. The fire started, Fine said, when the plumber was making repairs on an “exterior hose bib that ran into the wall.” It then spread to the attic.

Share...
Email this to someoneShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on Pinterest

Category: Page One News Archived