Floyd Anderson Cooksey


Floyd Anderson Cooksey (Tech. Sgt. USAF Retired) of deCordova, passed away Tuesday, June 4, 2013, at the age of 79.

No services are planned at this time.

Floyd was born Jan. 3, 1934, in Guys, Tenn., to Floyd A. Sr. and Georgia J. Cooksey. He had one sister and one brother.

His brother preceded him in death as did his parents. His sons Michael Anderson Cooksey and Timothy Alan Cooksey preceded him in death in the years of 2009 and 2010 respectively.

Floyd and Valda Lee Rutledge Bell Cooksey were married Oct. 30, 1959 in Wichita Falls.

Floyd retired from the United States Air Force in Jan. 1972 after serving more than 20 years in the Communications Career Field. He concluded his Air Force career as a long-range Plans and Programs Manager. His active duty assignments included Scott AFB, Ill.; Lajes Field, Azores; Andrews AFB, Md.; Tinker AFB, Okla.; Lowry AFB, Colo.; Osan AB, Korea; Bryan AFB, Texas; Sheppard AFB, Texas; Fuchu AS, Japan; Randolph AFB, Texas; Hickam AFB, Hawaii; Air Force Accounting and Finance Center, Denver, Colo.; Kenai AS, Alaska; and Holloman AFB, N.M.

After retirement he was a Real Estate Salesman/Broker in Colorado and Co-owner/Resident Manager of a major motel franchise for several years. Floyd was an avid reader, was highly intelligent and could converse or debate almost any subject, sometimes to his chagrin.

After they both retired he and his good traveling buddy, his wife Valda, travelled for two years in their recreational vehicle searching for the perfect place to retire and finally decided that Granbury was closest to what they were looking for.

Survivors: He is survived by his beloved wife of 53 years, Valda Cooksey; daughter, Gala Lea and husband, George “Buddy” Bonner, of Memphis, Tenn.; stepdaughter, Sherry Lee Fleming and husband, Richard of Charlie, Texas; stepson, Barry Don Bell and wife, Donna, of Ruidoso, N.M.; three grandchildren, one great-grandchild, five step-grandchildren; several step- great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

Arrangements were by Wiley Funeral Home.